Juggling act.

So this is a quick update done from my phone. It is spring break for all the public school kids but as we took two weeks off for baby and two extra weeks off at Christmas, I felt that we ought to keep moving on. Especially as we haven't really gotten back into routine, which is mostly my fault.

In the last few weeks we have kept up with regular exercises: math, spelling, word building, phonics, and journal. But because I have had a bit of cabin fever and because we've been starting our days later and because everything has been a fight with both older kids, we have sort of done the minimum amount of work and left it at that. It doesn't help that we have also had lots of shopping and cleaning to do for two separate parties in four weeks. Theo's birthday left him a lot of thank you cards to write which he has been slowly working on. And our several outings have been useful nature walks. But being generally disorganised, I haven't kept track of our learning properly. In fact I have hardly had the time with two free hands to write anything down let alone blog about it. As I write this on my phone I am holding a restless baby while Georgie has a tantrum on the couch over not wanting to get dressed on her own (she can't do anything without my "help" these days) and Theo is "doing math" in the kitchen for the second hour in row and not finished his work from yesterday.

What I am planning is a total schedule overhaul so that the kids get more playtime and hopefully more activities like swimming and other things. I used to want them to be involved in family errands because I felt that they were good learning experiences but I will be doing those on my own from now on as they are too time consuming and not valuable enough to their learning. Plus my nerves can't handle it anymore.

Hopefully by the end of this week we will have finished thank yous and other projects and will be moving onto botany and building up our garden next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chaos and exploding metals

Monday of course was Thanksgiving and we didn't do school, but instead had a lovely meal with family. Tuesday was back to our weekly Sci...