Bright week

The weather is gorgeous, Pascha has arrived, and we are all sick with yucky colds. I am always hesitant to blow off school, but not so much this week.Somehow I made it to every Holy Week service with the kids last week so we are all pooped.

Our swimming was cancelled which is a bit annoying, but I'm also a bit relieved to have a couple weeks to recover and relax before starting us on any new material. Theo has been playing Angry Birds (the plastic toy version which I banned for lent) and we've been to the beach twice this week. We're hopefully going to do a little gardening this week and we should be heading down to the States ad well so I've tried to be laid back about school and not worry about it. At the end of the month we will hopefully be in swimming and if it gets cancelled again I plan to leave it till summer. That or see if I can negotiate some sort of family class. Getting them into lessons that happen at the same time has been a real chore.

On the plus side, next year's finances have come available which means I can head to One Stop Learning and pick up Theo's grade two math and start browsing the language curricula.

Here's the thing: I want Theo and Georgie to have a lot more free time to play together and I want to be more relaxed about our approach next year, but I also want to start Theo on a whole lot more material that is better suited to his level than the stuff I picked up last year. And I greatly fear getting lazy about stuff and not getting anything done. Not sure how to balance that. Come this fall I want to be doing math, language arts, French, maybe Latin, a proper Science curriculum, Bible studies, geography, and perhaps some history. Um, yes, I sometimes forget he is only going to be in grade one. But he is ready for almost all those subjects. Not to mention interested in them. But I also don't want to spend more than an hour and a half on schoolwork per day, not just because he needs more time to play outside and go to swimming and perhaps other activities, but because Georgie needs more time with him and because I can't spend 3-4hours supervising him every day. Plus he is six. If Georgie gets into preschool this year I suppose we will have a bit more structure within which to work, but in the meantime I'm trying not to get so excited about new material that I try to take on more than we can really handle.

Anyway here's a look at our last week:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chaos and exploding metals

Monday of course was Thanksgiving and we didn't do school, but instead had a lovely meal with family. Tuesday was back to our weekly Sci...