Back to work

Here we are!! New house, new town, new year. It's taking us a little while to get the hang of the new place. We still haven't unpacked everything or decided the best way to arrange stuff, but we are more or less settled in and back to work after a very eventful Christmas break. It's been a bit of a struggle to get the kids back into routine but surprisingly less than usual after a lot of disruption.


We moved into a new house in a new city, had Christmas, drove to Saskatchewan, had Elsie baptized, worked rather hard to get the van to start in -35 degree weather, visited friends in Edmonton, then got home, and have been unpacking and trying to get the house organized for two weeks straight. It seems like slow going but it's actually coming along well. Eustace is potty training and has been moved into Theo's room and into a big bed. 


He is also being entertained for a few hours a week by another homeschooler who lives around the corner and is doing babysitting for school credit. This facilitates the regular school at home days. Eustace goes off the park and I supervise the older children in their work. 



This week they had no classes at St Innocent's while their teacher did some mandatory training days. I thought it would be brutal having them all home for 5 days in a row, but it actually served well to get a school work routine established. We did work 5 days in a row.
Georgie did some printing practice and math. Theo did printing, grammar, 5 lessons of Math and both the revision from the French he learned earlier this year and one whole new unit. He remembered almost all the french he learned in the fall without and review.
He only got two of the revision test questions incorrect. I was amazed. And with daily practice georgie is almost able to write her own name without reminding which letter comes next. So plenty of progress. 

Next week I'm hoping to try the library out and visit the nearest Strong Start.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the birth and baptism of your beautiful baby, Elsie! I have been following your blog and have not been successful in responding from my IPad so am now trying from my home computer. You are totally amazing, Rhiannon! It is good to see your four children flourishing in your new home. It is good to see that Georgie is doing so well - good for her to be able to print her name. I know all the struggles you've had with her in the past.
    This is short as I don't know if it will even get through.
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It did make it!!! I look forward to more posts whenever you are able to make time.

    ReplyDelete

Chaos and exploding metals

Monday of course was Thanksgiving and we didn't do school, but instead had a lovely meal with family. Tuesday was back to our weekly Sci...