One thing is colds. Eustace and Georgie have been sick with nasty ones and as such I have been getting up in the night approximately every hour to deal with an over tired, snotty baby. Said baby's newfound ability to pull up and furniture cruise has also made midnight wakings a lot more interesting. So naturally I am not in the best humour.
The other thing is feasts. This week was the Feast of the Entry of the Theotokos into the Temple. Not only does this mean extra church, but supplemental school material in his Journaling Throughtout the Liturgical Year portfolio. So he learned all about the feast in advance of the service, including the gospel readings ( which I correctly interpreted for him I was pleased to find), and the troparion. But as such we didn't do a lot of our regular work.
Then there's errands. I must have spent a fair portion of last week planning and arranging babysitting for theo so I could attend Georgie's preschool observation and teacher consultation without him, only to have to cancel both, first due to illness and then due to a funeral on the day of the consultation. Nevertheless, I did a lot of texting and emailing and calling during school time to organize it. And when I wasn't doing that, I was getting groceries since my husband has been working late into the night every evening of the last two weeks and his other job as choir director has gotten very busy what with Christmas coming, the feast this week, and now a funeral. He has not had time to do a grocery run with the van. A diet change due to Advent fasting has made it more of a chore than usual too. Amongst my usual cooking duties I am now making nut milk to supplement our fasting diet. It's really dead easy, but one more thing.
And then there's other events. We are godparents at a baptism this coming Sunday, not that we have to do much more than be there, but it's not going to be a regular weekend. And after the baptism we have a birthday party to go to for which I had to shop, and while I was at it I figured I had better get some Christmas shopping out of the way. And to top it off, we have another thanksgiving day to attend on Monday. So it's kinda all downhill at the moment.
We did get some science readings and narrations done this week and a little math. Theo did his feast day pages in his liturgical year journal which took some doing really, and this morning they are making birthday cards for a friend who moved to New York over the summer. So it hasn't been a total waste. It never is really. But we are way behind in science and language and history and math. Which is really just to say we haven't stuck to the regularly scheduled lesson plan but it isn't as if he is lacking in any of those subjects.
Today we will go to the mall for mailing of various cards and gifts and it get Theo's hair cut finally. Tomorrow will be taken up with a funeral so I don't expect to get any more work done really. Hopefully we will get a little done next week before we take a week off for field trips in the first week of December. But I will keep my goals pretty low. It may be that we will just have to go with it and refocus after Christmas.







No comments:
Post a Comment